The use of A.T. is not a goal in itself. A.T. can be included in IEP goals, Specially Designed Instruction (including as an accommodation for testing), Supports to School Personnel, and as a related service.
· A condition of goal or objective (e.g.“Using a voice output communication device, child will name….”)
· Included in Specially Designed Instruction, (e.g. “Access to a computer for word processing writing tasks longer than one paragraph” ); as an accommodation for testing
· Related Services:“Student and parents will be trained by A.T. consultant in use of A.T.”
· Supports for School Personnel (e.g. “Teacher of child with hearing impairment will be trained in use and maintenance of FM system.”)
The general goal format is: Using (AT solution), student will (curriculum standard) with ___ % accuracy __ /__ times.
IEP Goal Samples:
· Using a word processor program with a spell checker, S will compose a 3 paragraph paper using at least 15 sentences with 80% accuracy in the use of punctuation, capitalization and grammar for 5 assignments in a grading period by (date).
· Using a book holder and page turner, S will read selected text in order to provide an oral response demonstrating an ability to summarize essential details and to provide a conclusion with ___ % accuracy __/__ times.
· Using a pre-programmed VOCA, S will identify the main events of the plot, supporting details and conclusion with ___% accuracy ___/___times.
· Using a computer with pre-programmed Clicker 5 word bank grids, S will scan through the words and select words with his switch to compose 5 sentences containing a minimum of 3 words each during daily journal activity.
· Using an electronic dictionary/thesaurus, S will explain frequently used synonyms, antonyms, and homographs with ___% accuracy ___/___times.
· Using electronic text, word (or talking word) processing/word prediction program, S will read selected text and write a summary of selected readings containing the main idea and essential details with ___ % accuracy __/__ times.
· Using a word (or talking word) processing program, keyboard (specify) and/ or mouse (specify), S
will write simple and compound sentences with ___% accuracy __/__ times.
the computer and pre-programmed word banks in a picture based word processor, S
will complete 3 paragraphs of writing over 10 consecutive English periods by
Purcell, S. Grant, D. (2004). Using Assistive Technology to Meet Literacy
Standards: An IEP Team Guide.